I believe most things in life are fun when done in a group. It’s a given sometimes we need our independence and alone time but we’re naturally sociable being and it would really suck without the company of others.
Kotaku posted results of an online research poll of nearly one thousand of its users find flying solo depressing. Have a looksie yourself:
9. Eating at a ramen restaurant alone: 1.9 percent
8. Traveling alone: 2 percent
7. Seeing a movie alone: 2.3 percent
6. Going to a concert alone: 6.4 percent
4. Going to karaoke alone: 13.3 percent
4. Going to a bar alone: 13.3 percent
3. Going to a buffet alone: 21.5 percent
2. Going to a yakiniku (BBQ) restaurant alone: 23.4 percent
1. Going to an amusement park alone: 53.7 percent
Being asked “A table for one?” is generally seen as somewhat pathetic when going to places people usually go with their friends, family, or loved ones. Ramen restaurants are often (though, not always) places businessmen quickly grab lunch or dinner, so many people are more used to going to these types of restaurants by themselves. I’m not one to go Nandos on my own but there are some die hard chicken fans out there that would so fair dos to the peri peri fiends.
Recently, there’s been a trend to make certain kinds of solo activities less depressing, such as karaoke places that specialize in serving customers who want to sing alone. Great for people like me who generally have so much range you jealous fools can’t take my skills.
It’s interesting that arcades weren’t included in this poll as that’s an independent activity where you immerse yourself in the game and frankly zone out however after going to a Games tournament I enjoyed it more with a group of cheerleaders cheering me on 😀