After my first experience of Distant Worlds last year, I waited patiently for the tickets to go on sale for the 25th Anniversary concert in London. Within minutes 25 years worth of excitement and music had been wiped from the website by Czech hackers. Luckily some people managed to buy tickets. I was not one of them.
A month went passed and more and more of my friends mentioned they had tickets and wanted to know if I was going – much salt was rubbed and eventually I forgot altogether until a few days before when a friend had happened to find tickets on gumtree.
Next thing I knew, I was waiting in the cold again as my friend was late and I had Yunas and Clouds prancing around me. One most notable cosplay was a kid in a Chocobo outfit made of feathers, he even squawked authentically.
The program was full of classics and wildcards, including:
- FINAL FANTASY IV: Battle With Four Fiends (Uematsu)
- FINAL FANTASY V: Main Theme (Uematsu)
- FINAL FANTASY VI: The Phantom Forest (Uematsu)
- FINAL FANTASY XI: Vana’diel March (Mizuta)
- FINAL FANTASY XII: The Dalmasca Estersand (Sakimoto)
PLUS: Nobuo Uematsu’s new version of FINAL FANTASY VI: Opera ‘Maria & Draco’ with narration and other beloved classics such as FINAL FANTASY VII: One Winged Angel aka ‘Sephiroth’ and everyone in the audience joined too! They even did my own personal favourite from FINAL FANTASY X: Zanarkand and a new Chocobo mix of course.
Exclusive post show VIP meet/greet for the people who splashed £135 per ticket got to:
- Premium seating for the performance in the Stalls, Section K
- Post-show standing reception in a Royal Albert Hall room
- Beer, wine and soft drinks served with nibbles
- Meet with composer Nobuo Uematsu and conductor Arnie Roth
- Tour booklet including images from Yoshitaka Amano
- Autograph session and photo opportunity
Next time I will be one of those privileged people, but either way I enjoyed myself thoroughly with fellow Final Fantasy fans watching beautiful CGI. Special guests attended too including one of the creators of Final Fantasy sitting in the crowd. Crystal K a Jpop sensation, Susan Colloway and more! If you are a FF fan or enjoy orchestral music this is something you need to experience at least once in your life, the tour continues worldwide: http://www.ffdistantworlds.com/
Check out our video of one of the songs here.
For more videos from events, visit our YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/AnnaMayPicks