One of the most appealing things on the Nineworlds Geekfest schedule for Friday were the array of panels dedicated to publishing. Be it your unbiased novella, shortstop or comic script you could pick the brains of writers, agents and publishers.
I took the chance to listen to John Woodworth and Julie Crisp.
- Less money/sales in shortstories and anthologies
- Is your book following the latest trend?
- Do you have a niche?
- Approach the relevant publisher that specialises in your genre.
- Traditional publishing is more popular due to gaining a higher percentage for the writer.
- Self published/amazon is great but check the fine print.
- Don’t be pretentious market your book as potential for a series.
- Agents want a brand not just a one hit wonder, stick to a genre!
- Get a beta reader (who isn’t your mum for honest feedback.
- Editor is helpful but not essential